Thursday, March 9, 2017

Trudy Suggs 3/9/17

Initial gut reaction 1-Not at all   10-Yes, definitely
Did I convey presenter’s overall message? 6
Did I deliver the interpretation with confidence? 7
What is the presenter’s purpose?: Educate interpreters about disempowerment.
What is the presenter’s attitude toward the topic?: (emotive, excited, lethargic…) She seems emotive and excited to share her experiences.  She is enthusiastic and passionate because she wants her class to understand the importance of this topic. 
What was the presenter’s language quality? (clear, redundant, evasive, tangents…) She was very clear, but also signed very fast so I missed most of the fingerspelling.
How was the audio/visual quality? The audio quality was okay.  
How did the presenter structure the presentation? She had a powerpoint that she used to showcase the important points. She used personal experiences and other's stories to emphasize her points and show that this really does happen in the real world, everyday. 
Did the source text use any culturally bound information or topic-specific jargon?  I think the whole topic was culturally bound because it really spoke to interpreters about the Deaf community they are working with.  The interpreters should know the ways of the world and how to avoid disempowering their client. 
Brief notes: I missed a lot of her fingerspelling, but I actually think I did okay on this assignment.  It wasn't a perfect match, but I caught a lot of her concepts and tried to share those rather than each word.  Since she signed fast it was much easier to grasp concepts rather than words anyway.  This topic was really complex, but I think I did a pretty good job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment