Sunday, April 2, 2017

It Takes a Deaf World 3/30

Initial gut reaction 1-Not at all   10-Yes, definitely
Did I convey presenter’s overall message? 7
Did I deliver the interpretation with confidence? 7
What is the presenter’s purpose?: To share knowledge about ASL and how learning this language impacts a Deaf child's development. 
What is the presenter’s attitude toward the topic?: (emotive, excited, lethargic…) He is very knowledgeable since he has experienced a life with sign language.  He described having 100% access and you can tell he is passionate since this topic affects all Deaf children and not knowing this information can really hurt the child.
What was the presenter’s language quality? (clear, redundant, evasive, tangents…) He was clear in his presentation, but signed a little fast for me. 
How was the audio/visual quality? The video quality was good and clear. 
How did the presenter structure the presentation?  He started with a way to get hearing people to imagine living in a Deaf world.  Then he gave some background knowledge about the Deaf world, culture, and language. Then he told the audience how learning ASL impacts a Deaf child and not being exposed to a sign language can hinder their development. 
Did the source text use any culturally bound information or topic-specific jargon?  There was a lot of culturally bound information including Deaf history and Eyeth.  The idea of Deaf culture itself is culturally bound information.  The jargon related to the topic included the names of famous Deaf people or famous people involved in Deaf history (Gallaudet, Laurent Clerc), ASL, and Eyeth. 
Brief notes: At the end I totally missed the last point!  I think I didn't give myself enough lag time.  I found myself speaking and missing what was being said as I voiced.  

No comments:

Post a Comment