Thursday, February 16, 2017

Academic ASL 2/9/17

Initial gut reaction 1-Not at all   10-Yes, definitely
Did I convey presenter’s overall message? 6
Did I deliver the interpretation with confidence? 5
What is the presenter’s purpose?: He's educating his audience on the importance of Academic ASL.
What is the presenter’s attitude toward the topic?: (emotive, excited, lethargic…) He's passionate about the topic. 
What was the presenter’s language quality? (clear, redundant, evasive, tangents…) He was clear, but fingerspelled a bit too fast for me to understand a lot of the words. 
How was the audio/visual quality? Good.
How did the presenter structure the presentation? He used powerpoint slides to support his presentation.  He listed journals and organizations. 
Did the source text use any culturally bound information or topic-specific jargon?  There were organizational references using acronyms in relation to interpreting.
Brief notes: That was rough. I think I left out a ton of information because I was trying to figure out the best way to say what I thought he meant.  I struggled to understand one part at the end because I couldn't figure out what he was trying to say-I tried using the context around it, but I'll definitely watch that part again. I don't think I had a lot of emotion in my voice, but he seemed very passionate about the topic so I think I should've shown that more through my voice inflection. I think this will be a video that I watch without interpreting and understand a lot more because I think he signed very clear, but I just missed a lot of it.  I also think I spit out a lot of random words that I recognized, but didn't connect them to a sentence.  When he listed something or I didn't understand a lot, I tried to just say what I did understand. I need to put out complete thoughts though!

I think doing the padlet and mind maps may help more when we voice because then we look up words related to the topic and then can use those during the interpretation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment