Thursday, February 23, 2017

2/23/17 Morning News

Initial gut reaction 1-Not at all   10-Yes, definitely
Did I convey presenter’s overall message? 8
Did I deliver the interpretation with confidence? 7
What is the presenter’s purpose?: Share the news, tell a first hand experience, share a funny skit
What is the presenter’s attitude toward the topic?: (emotive, excited, lethargic…) The newscaster seemed neutral, but the cancer surviver was obviously emotionally invested in her topic.  She wanted the audience to learn more about how to support breast cancer and the survivors. The third story-the women were very emotive.  I did not understand their joke/story at all though. 
What was the presenter’s language quality? (clear, redundant, evasive, tangents…) The news man and Mary were both clear and I understood them, but the final two women were very difficult to understand.  I think they were over exaggerating their signs and I kind of missed the gist of their story.  I tried to "Gish Up" and just say what the joke was about, but I think I failed because they were trying to say why the sign was funny related to the actual act and I missed the connection. 
How was the audio/visual quality? The video quality was fine until the end when it went back and forth for the two women-then it was a little difficult to follow.
How did the presenter structure the presentation? The first story was just informative, the second told a personal experience and related it to how one can seek information and learn how to support people affected by breast cancer, the third was a skit. 
Did the source text use any culturally bound information or topic-specific jargon?  The third story (the two woman) had a lot of culturally bound information and specific jargon because it was all related to the ASL sign.
Brief notes: I felt really confident until the last story.  Mary's story was definitely the easiest for me to follow and I think I got all the information.  I think I missed something in the beginning about the plane and the third story I just totally fluffed my interpretation because I didn't understand :(

No comments:

Post a Comment