Thursday, February 9, 2017

Copy Signing Experience

Deaf Awareness Month with Ben Bahan & The Significance of Deaf Interpreters Conference

Why is this helpful? It is a good transition from understanding language while reproducing it in the same language to understanding language and interpreting it into a different language. This is a great exercise if you feel you understand signers when you are not interpreting for them, but then lose the message when your voice turns on.

Copy signing is helpful because I don't have to think about the correct way to sign something. I was proud that I still understood a lot of the presentation even though I struggled to keep up with their signing. I skipped many fingerspelled words, but overall I think I did pretty well.  Not understanding all those fingerspelled words shows me the importance of practicing my receptive skills! I enjoyed copy signing the second video because I feel as though I incorporated/copied the signer's facial expressions well.  I struggled a little at first to simultaneously copy them and understand what the conversation was about, but as I kept going I understood more and more.  After a while I was simply understanding what they were discussing and could focus more on copying the correct body language facial expressions, non manual markers, and use of space.  Overall, I missed some words and concepts, but feel this exercise helped me produce more natural, fluid ASL because I wasn't so focused on interpreting.

No comments:

Post a Comment